Thursday, April 20, 2006

Waking to What's Possible

The first moment when you transition between sleep and wakefulness can be the most amazing moment of the day. No matter how down or stressed you might have been the day before, if you look at life from the perspective that anything can happen….that magic can appear when you least expect it and open your mind to it, then that possibility will always be there.

Anais Nin said “The dream was always running ahead of me. To catch up, to live for a moment in unison with it, that was the miracle.”

When we close our eyes to the possibilities of life, magic, wonder, realisation of a dream even for a short time, we miss all that’s extraordinary in what we expect to be an ordinary day. Expectations are strange ‘creatures’ aren’t they? They’re like intentions. Intentions equal results. When we truly have an intention, we will make it happen. Just like expectations. If we expect the day to dump on us, we will look for the negative. When we look for the extraordinary in an ordinary day, we will find that too. And when we take that time to meet that new person, speak to someone we thought we might want to speak to but never took the time to, get to truly know a person rather than the superficial, we can be touched in ways that will change us profoundly and, perhaps, take us to a place in our lives we had only dreamed of.

Life is a series of twists and turns, connections of sorts. We connect and our realm of understanding of ourselves expands. Through new people our horizons and experiences unfold, and we not only learn about them and a bit more about the world, but ourselves as well.

Through every person I meet, and how I connect with them, my world expands, as do my ideas, ways of being and the depth of who I might be. Some connections are stronger than others. Some leave me with a sense of wonder that there’s so much more to discover, I can’t wait to see what unfolds.

Years ago I was so busy getting through life that I didn’t live it. I certainly didn’t embrace it. It was more getting through a day and surviving it. My perspectives have changed. The way I live my life is in direct proportion to my beliefs. It’s also about what I can give rather than what’s in it for me and through that I’ve grown exponentially.

The other day I was telling a client how much of a challenge it is for me to write, and one of the reasons I write my blog is to force me in a way to express my thoughts, hopefully helping others along their paths at the same time. It’s been almost 3 years since I started blogging. My audience has increased dramatically (80 subscriber countries as of today!) and it never ceases to amaze me how my words can touch people from all over the globe. When my readers email me or comment, the connection strengthens. And for those who already know me and work with me, it’s a way for them to see who I am, not only what it is I do.

In so many ways I’ve been lucky. I have caught up and lived in unison with some of my dreams. And I hope to catch up with many more along the way. That’s the magic of life. Are you paying attention to your dreams and the possibilities each day might bring?

Looking forward…
Donna Karlin

*Note: Welcome subscribers from Barbados and Uzbekistan. 80 countries and counting! Welcome, stay awhile and let us know what your thoughts are. We'd love to hear

No comments: