Saturday, July 19, 2003

Water

I don't know why water is such a draw for me.....the desire to be near the ocean, that smell of salt in the air....a warmth that seems to permeate your very being while sitting there on the sand. I burn even looking at the sun, but somehow, that desire is always there. It's not only the ocean....it's the water. The same feeling comes over me as I drive home along the Parkway ....looking at the river that divides Ontario with Quebec....the vivid green of the grass, watching people bike and walk along its shores, and, very special to me in the spring and summer months, watching the Canada Geese just stand there, sometimes so still they look like statues. They're never here for long and I know I'll miss them when they start going south in the colder winter months.

Most of my dreams...the memorable ones, seem to take place along the shores of the ocean and reading a quote this morning brought it all back, maybe making sense of it all. Anne Morrow Lindbergh wrote "In the first happy condition, one seems to carry all one's tasks before one lightly, as if borne along on a great tide; and in the opposite state one can hardly tie a shoe-string".

I know when I'm happy everything works like clock-work with very few glitches along the way. For me the power of the ocean both energizes and relaxes....a contradiction, yes...one I love. Because when I close my eyes I can almost touch it...feel it's strength...the wonder of it, and it infuses me. Veronique Vienne wrote "The only difference between an extraordinary life and an ordinary one is the extraordinary pleasures you find in ordinary things". To me....there's nothing ordinary in the magic of the sea, or the pictures it conjures in my mind. And, I suppose, that could be said about the special people in my life as well.

I wonder....how many extraordinary things can you find in an ordinary day? Enjoy your week.

Best..

Donna Karlin

No comments: