Monday, October 04, 2004

Memories of the Yukon

There is so much to write about my experiences in the Yukon, but I'll begin with this.....

My stay in Whitehorse came to an end much too quickly. It was filled with teaching, coaching, learning and laughter. The people there welcomed me with open arms and were eager to learn and experience as much as they could absorb about Coaching. In the interim, I learned all I could about the First Nations people and their history. It was fascinating and I couldn’t believe how much I didn’t know about their past and present….a history rich with culture and pride.

One of the class shared with me some books of stories of his people of the Kwanlin Dun First Nation. The stories were so simple yet each one touched a place deep inside me and will stay for a very very long time.

On the last morning, as I wandered with old friends and new, meeting up with some of the class on street corners and in shops, the week flashed before me. The 9 days flew by and now that I’m home I know I’ll look for the streaks of colour in the sky at dawn and snow capped mountains covered with morning mist in the distance….wishing this magical place was just around the corner so I could visit it often.

The time flew by way too quickly for me to learn all I wanted. Will I go back? I can’t imagine anything else. There is so much more to see and explore and learn and for me to teach whenever the opportunity strikes. And in the meantime I’ll have my photographs to remind me of its magic. Looking back at that brief moment when I questioned whether or not to go, I know now to never question anything like it again. If I had let this opportunity pass me by I never would have seen anything like this…


Best!
Donna Karlin


Bennett Lake - Carcross, Yukon

For more pictures, click here " Memories of the Yukon"


No comments: