Saturday, February 19, 2005

The Right Questions

"Confidence, like art, never comes from having all the answers; it comes from being open to all the questions" - Earl Gray Stevens

As a Coach I couldn’t resist this quote as that’s what we do best….ask the right questions. From a client’s perspective, being open to the questions their Coach throws at them and accepting the challenge of some of them is the first, second and third steps to getting to where they want to be in their lives. Status quo can be a seductive place to be as it’s the known. It might not be where they ultimately wish to be in life but in their world of whirlwind days, one crises after another and demands on their time, ‘what is’ in their lives is easier to live than going after ‘what will be because I’m going to work at making it happen’. That takes time, energy and incredible focus. In my opinion, that’s the first gift a Coach can give their client….the mental space and perspectives to make choices towards change.

If we don’t hit the nail on the head with a laser question, then we ask another question until we do. What I love about being a Shadow Coach is when my clients start anticipating what I’ll be asking them. What I love even more is when I change directions and they don’t expect what’s coming. My goal is for them to see the entire situation not just their part in it and to go that one step further and grow because of it.

It’s very easy to live your life as you know it, even if it’s not one you love, however not as easy to look back on that life without regret. As George Eliot said “It is never too late to become what you might have been”.

So as I am a Coach I will end this blog with a question, maybe two for you and invite you to answer. “What one thing will you do today to get you one step closer to your dream? And what steps will you take after that?”

Best!
Donna Karlin

* Note: People from 33 countries subscribing and counting! Welcome reader from Kuwait!

No comments: