Thursday, August 28, 2003


Serendipity

definition: The faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident.

To date this is definitely my favourite word.... has such a meaning to me. Life has been a series of serendipitous events which shaped what I'm living today...more by people than events.

Years ago I used to speak to this incredibly courageous young man by the name of Tom. He had Muscular Dystrophy and in his short life, lived each moment as fully as possible. He told me the only thing he could do unassisted was type on the computer and so looked forward to our short chats in the evening. I had never met him in person. He lived in the US in a privately run home for the severely disabled. He liked it there and had made many friends. Still he loved to hear the antics of the Karlin family, especially what my son was up to and mischief our Golden Retriever Indy (Indiana Jones) got into each day. My son named the dog that because he said our house became the 'Temple of Doom' the moment he walked into it (or should I say bounded : )

Through this courageous young man, I met someone who would shape my life forever....who would encourage me to be the best I could be and open my mind and heart to what the world had to offer. And if I'd even mention in passing that I couldn't do something, he'd almost be offended at the thought that there was anything I couldn't do. And through his eyes and encouragement, I reached so far beyond my comfort zone. Every day I'd stretch in some way and could almost see his smile and nod, silently saying to me "Told ya so!".

I share all my victories with him, because if it weren't for this force in my life, there is no way I would have accomplished a fraction of what I have.

I believe everything happens for a reason, though I'm not always sure what that reason is. It's enough to know it was supposed to have been. Serendipity at its best.....a gift of magic, an inner smile...... absolutely by accident. Or was it?

Best...

Donna Karlin

No comments: