Friday, September 05, 2003


A Wonderful World

I love Louis Armstrong. The simplest song has such meaning when he sings it. It seems to come from his soul. Since my last blog, I've been thinking of how blessed I am in my life and how wonderful this world really is. It's more than the people, experiences and things I'm blessed with. It's the subtleties...the things that are there all the time .....ones I have to remember to take notice of.

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom for me and you
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world..


And as I sit here listening to these lyrics put to music, I'm reminded of one of those special things...music. A huge part of my life for most of it....from learning and soon after competing at the piano at the age of 4 to spreading my wings and exploring the world of percussion....to using music to touch lost souls in my work. People who've hidden away from the world for a long time, who come to life when words of a song touch them to the core....faster than any words alone could.


I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world



This really is an incredible world....filled with wonder if you open your eyes and see it. From the trees, to the sky, sun or cloud-filled...it doesn't matter. Each is beautiful on its own. To rainbows that always seem to appear when you least expect them, both real ones and as a metaphor.


The colours of the rainbow, so pretty in the sky
Are also on the faces of people going by
I see friends shakin' hands, sayin' "How do you do?"
They're really saying "I love you"



And as my son is getting ready to leave home....going overseas to learn and explore the world....create his new world....I'm reminded not to take anything for granted, whether a moment of his time, or my friends' or a moment to myself, just to be and let this special world of ours in....waiting for who knows what to happen next..


I hear babies cryin', I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world
Yes, I think to myself, what a wonderful world


.................(Lyrics by George Weiss / Bob Thiele)


Oh yeah : )

Donna Karlin

No comments: