Sunday, May 16, 2004

Laser Coaching ™ for Clarity

As a coach the place I need to be is the gap between where my clients are and where they want to be. My role is to work with them to narrow the gap or, at the very least, find a way to bridge it. There wouldn't be a need for a coach if everyone looked at their life with total clarity. Coaches step in when they're stuck and go round and round the same issue until it's larger than life. The part I love best is when I laser coach....sharing a truth with the person I'm working with to give instant clarity. It's not whether they're doing something that's "good or bad" there is no room for judgment in a Coach's realm, rather it's allowing the truth to cut through the befuddlement, clearing away the garbage towards a vehicle for change. A colleague of mine pointed it out very eloquently. She described it as being a "question that is needed to create openness". Perfectly said Sylvie! It might hit them between the eyes but the impact is exactly what they need for their clarity. And when said without judgment, allows them to look at that truth and do something with it.

Laser Coaching, sharing that truth (by the way it's not my truth or my client's truth but the truth of a situation or issue) takes the pressure off my client. When I spoke about this technique at a course, the reaction I got back was that it put a lot of pressure on the client. Not so. It does the opposite. It illustrates what is....... allows them to zero in on the crux of the matter and talk it out. I become that vehicle, the enabler, to facilitate the process.

And if nothing else, what I've achieved is to plant a seed of awareness in my client's mind. Ultimately they will always go back to that truth, take a deep breath and dive right into it.

Clear as a bell. And then the fun begins as I watch them take control of how they live that truth and move on.

Best!
Donna Karlin

No comments: