Thursday, December 23, 2004

Creating a Life You Want

The New Year is dawning…..people dust off their New Year’s resolutions and try them out for size yet again. For those of you who know me, you know my opinion of those pesky resolutions. You mean well at the time but do you remember them a week or so later? I was sitting here thinking of many of the things I work on with clients and suggest to friends and family alike. And the only reason they listen is because they’ve seen me live it, each and every point as I make changes in my life. I want to create a life I love, not just exist through its days. Life is much too precious for that. I want to learn more, be open to experience and surprise…not to have control over life or exist through it but truly live it. The promise I made to myself is to be my authentic self, not what someone else wants me to be…and, from that basis, to give of myself by choice, not demand or expectation.

If you answer and reflect on these points, you too will create a life you love. And if you have any to add….I’d love to hear them!

What are your environments? Is your foundation strong? i.e. taking care of health, people in your life who nourish you in all ways, physical space, mental space. Time to clean it up and choose what you want within every environment.

Reach for the moon but be happy with what you have, regardless of circumstance. Whether or not you feel it is so, your life is perfect the way it is even if it’s to teach you what you’re made of.

Do you want to expend energy on reacting to things in your life or choose how you use that energy? It isn’t limitless. And if you’re going to spend time, which is a precious commodity these days and energy which, if anything, decreases as the years increase, it better be worthwhile and of your choosing. Take at least 10% of your time to make the other 90% easier. Eliminate delay. If you do that, you avoid a lot of wasted time catching up.

Never stop learning…knowledge feeds you in every way. And while you’re learning about others and life’s lessons, take time to learn more about yourself as well.

Ask yourself what it is you can give in life, not get. What gifts do you have that you can share with others?

Your values come first. If you live from that basis, everything else falls into place. Live your life according to your vision.

Get out of your own way. Let yourself succeed and celebrate those successes. You’re allowed.

Get rid of the baggage of the past. If it’s still hurting you then it’s your memories that are doing it, not the person or event. Let go of the future and live in the present. If you perfect what is right now, the future falls into place all on its own.

Make sure any goals you set for yourself are those you want with a passion. If they’re what you feel you “should do” you won’t do them. It’ll be a tug of war.

Start planning for financial independence. Now…. not next week. That ten dollars a week adds up really fast and disappears even quicker.

Don’t change your behaviour. Grow into who you are. See what works for you and what doesn’t and evolve into the person you want to be.

Life is more than making money. You need to take time to nurture your spirit. There’s intellectual and emotional banks to consider as well. Do you have reserves in all?

Hang around people who will help you grow, not pull you down. Energise don’t deplete. The fastest way to suck your energy dry is by hanging around with takers and users and those in perpetual bitching mode. Surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you.

What are you waiting for? Act! Call, do, move, create, initiate.

Have a problem? Even if it was handed to you? Solve it. Get rid of it! Saying “It’s not my problem” or “I didn’t start this!” lets it fester. Get rid of it before it becomes costly baggage.

Enjoy change. Have fun with it.

Love. There’s nothing like it!

"There are times when life surprises one, and anything may happen, even what one had hoped for" – Ellen Glasgow

I hope the new year brings you all sorts of wonderful surprises…those you wished for and those beyond your wildest dreams.

All the best for 2005 and beyond… Donna Karlin

No comments: