Wednesday, December 22, 2004

The Holidays

I love this time of year. Oh not the traffic and crammed stores and the 30 minute wait in the express line at the grocery store when I want to buy a carton of milk. It’s the colour and the music everywhere and the old movies. It’s pretty much the only time of year when I have the time to watch old movies. And I can’t miss Jimmy Stewart with his friend Harvey….the 6 foot 1½ inch rabbit : ) I think I watched that movie every holiday season growing up when I was up in the country with my family.

Snow birds might scoff, but I love being able to light a fire, put music on, tackle a jigsaw puzzle which I open up in all its million pieces on the dining room table every winter. It’s a hectic time when I slow down. An oxymoron I know, but true. I’d hate to miss the pulse of this time of year, listening to people scrambling around looking for that perfect gift, the look on their faces as wonder if that person they’re thinking of would love that piece or another one better.

I guess you could say I love the energy.

Many people I know don’t. Many find it incredibly stressful. All I could say is, for this time of year, for all times of the year, remember to celebrate yourselves as well. Oh it’s wonderful to acknowledge all the people in your life who you want to wish the best for, but remember to do the same for yourself. Give yourself a pat on the back for all you did that you could be proud of.

This has been a year of intense change for me. I feel as if I’ve grown as a person, I’ve met (personally and virtually) and worked with the most extraordinary people. Oh many will ask how could they all be extraordinary? Ahh but they are. Each and every one has a unique talent, perspective, kind of humour and intelligence and in sharing even a part of themselves with me, has given me the best gift ever. For that I am extremely grateful.

These gifts are intangibles, but priceless nonetheless. If I can help a person have a better outlook on life and celebrate who they are in some way big or small, then, to me, that’s all I could ask for.

And if I could have a wish for all of you, it would be to celebrate what you have right now, find laughter, give someone else a smile, relearn (for those of you who have forgotten) how to hug and give them regularly and most especially, when you see something wonderful in someone else, tell them!

Wishing you all the happiest of holidays…
Donna Karlin



No comments: