Wednesday, August 04, 2010

Why Do I Blog?

I don't write often enough, I know. My readers tell me that on a regular basis....which means they're reading and wanting to read more. There isn't a day that goes by when I'm not asked "Why do you blog?" 

I blog to share, to get my thoughts down in some semblance of coherence. I write so I hear what you have to say on all sorts of topics and write because writing doesn't come easily to me.

To quote one of my favorite bloggers, Seth Godin, "Blogging is free. It doesn't matter if anybody reads it. What matters is the humility that comes from writing it. What matter is the meta-cognition of thinking about what you're going to say. How do you explain yourself to the few employees - or your cat - or whoever is going to look at it? How do you force yourself to describe - in three paragraphs - why you did something? How do you respond out loud? If you're good at it [blogging], some people are going to read it. If you're not good at it, and you stick with it, you'll get good at it. This has become much bigger than, "are you Boing Boing or The Huffington Post?" This has become such a micro-publishing platform that you're basically doing it for yourself... to force yourself to become a part of the conversation, even if it's not that big. That posture change, changes an enormous amount."

Beautifully stated.

So stay tuned as I'm going to be writing more often and look forward to hearing you, what you want to be reading, what you're living and what your three cents are.  

No comments: