Sunday, September 28, 2003


Perfectionism

There have been too many coincidences about this topic to not write a blog about it.
Friday at work, I had a conversation about some staff being perfectionists and what problems arise because of that.

That'll be another blog : )

So when my friend Deb told me she went out to get a favourite book of mine, 'Romancing the Ordinary' by Sarah Breathnach, and opened it to a section on perfectionism, I had to write!

And no, Deb, I will NOT equate being perfect with a cake not coming out of the oven as in a Martha Stewart magazine (no........ we won't go there). And to quote the book, I agree with the line (changing the name for a moment) "Deb, I'm simply not going to support that kind of crazy thinking". Besides which, if you WERE perfect, I wouldn't have had such a great time listening to your voice mail where you described the end cake results in such minute detail.

And for all you perfectionists out there....I also agree with the quote from 'The Artists Way' (another favourite book) which says "Perfectionism is not a quest for the best. It is a pursuit of the worst in ourselves,, the part that tells us that nothing we do will ever be good enough -- that we should try again. No we should not."

I believe in learning from mistakes but not beating ourselves up about them.

Wishing you the best...

(a far from perfect) Donna Karlin

No comments: