Monday, November 10, 2003

Home

"This is the bright home
in which I live,
this is where I ask
my friends to come,
this is where I want
to love all the things
it has taken me so long
to learn to love

There is no house
like the house of belonging
" - David Whyte

This past weekend my friends in Philadelphia invited me into their new home. And they’re the kind of friends that the moment you walk into their house you feel at home. I got to meet their new pup and their cat...and I’m not usually a cat lover, but this one seemed to worm his way into my heart in his very quiet, albeit demolition derby way. I realised my reflexes were still pretty good as I grabbed for vases and coffee cups about to fly.

On the plane on the way home I also realised that home is within us....it’s not necessarily geographical but the feeling we have deep down as we walk into the arms of someone we love to be enfolded in a hug that says it all, or to a friend’s home that they’ve so lovingly decorated and cared for. It doesn’t have to be my house. It’s attitude....feeling of belonging. Knowing you’re exactly where you’re supposed to be.

And those feelings are indescribably wonderful.

Best...
Donna Karlin

No comments: