Thursday, November 27, 2003

Radio Show

Monday, as I was running to a meeting, I was surprised by a phone call. Few things surprise me these days (as a Coach I always expect the unexpected) but this took me unawares. I was asked to host my own radio show.

I was quite shocked, very honoured to have been asked and, as I had to run to that meeting I asked the Executive Producer who had called me if I could think it over and call him back within a few days. Flattering? YES! Something I could have fun with? Definitely! Good timing? No.

And then, as I recalled the conversation, my thoughts changed. "It would give me credibility" he said. Well, I thought, if you type in Shadow Coach on Google, it's my name that comes up. And, if you type my name in on Google, 7 pages come up, quotes, articles, business related material, interviews. How much more credibility do I need?

"You'd get more business" he added. Well, if I had any more business I'd have to clone myself. What I need and decided to take is more time for life.

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit." - Dawna Markova

My goal...my philosophy, is to make a difference, even one person at a time. I refuse to be so busy that my goal takes a back seat to notoriety. To live my life, I have to participate in it. Which means finding time just to be, to learn, grow, absorb what's out there in the world. Not to be so busy that all I know is work and prep and falling into bed exhausted at the end of the day. That isn't living. That's existing day to day. Dawna's quote says it all. I will not live an unlived life. I want to discover the passions within me, to achieve my true being, my true self, whatever that may be. And to do that, it has to be a life of my choosing.

So, still flattered that they picked me....I graciously declined the honour of my own show, at least for now. What happens in the future, the future will take care of.

Best!
Donna Karlin

No comments: