Sunday, November 30, 2003

Life's Miracles

A miracle is defined as "any amazing or wonderful occurrence".

I suppose it's all in how you look at your life and events that have occurred. Albert Einstein was quoted as saying "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as if everything is."

I'm not sure I agree with that, though I know I've experienced more than my fair share of miracles.. It's amazing what comes to mind when you're "breathing challenged". I've never had much patience for being sick, and this is definitely no exception.

My stretch, I admit it.

So in my confinement, I write, and think and recall times in my life when I was definitely blessed by miracles....mostly through amazing people who have changed my life. Some directly, and others indirectly.

My son, for instance....definitely up there as one. And how, through some twist of fate, aided by my brother, we found a doctor who helped Michael go from paralyzed with no sensation to mobile with almost full sensation. Looking for a needle in a haystack. She was the only one who could have helped him back then, definitely creating miracles with him.

People who came into my life out of the clear blue, serendipitous, definitely, who saw who I was and what I could do when it came to taking my place in the world....who encouraged me to be the best I could be. I still wonder how some people walk into our lives and why. When there is no rhyme or reason but one day they just happen, appear through a twist of fate to touch you in a profound way.....you know there's a name for it.

I wonder how many people are given the same gifts of miracles in their lives, but just don't notice. They look for a plausible reason, a logical explanation, when there isn't one......or talk themselves into thinking it was all in their control. But it isn't. It just happens. I think it's criminal to ignore them....to push them aside and negate their magic. If they weren't meant to be part of our lives, we wouldn't have experienced them.

A long time ago, when I was questioning how it had been possible for someone from so far away to have changed my life so drastically, in a matter of fact way, HIS way, he turned and said "Because it had to happen. It could have been anywhere. I know I would have stopped you in a street if we were passing because I would have had to talk to you". No....these aren't explainable events. Life changing, yes. The kind of thing that makes you stop, take a step back, and know, something so far out of your control had a play in what had happened.

Unexplainable....wonderful....amazing. Definitely a miracle. And I'm not only taking notice, but being very grateful....will always wonder the whys of them all, maybe in the back of my mind. But my heart knows not to question, just to be thankful.

Best...
Donna Karlin

No comments: